Wednesday, February 06, 2008

621. Today

Today I:

-- woke up at 5AM
-- went to three meetings, one class, and facilitated a dialogue group
-- did three hours of work in between meetings
-- took six separate subway rides
-- almost died during ride #3. I was leaning against the conductor's door because the train was crowded; door flew open; I fell backwards into the conductor's booth, which fortunately stood between me and the subway tracks. Conductor had chosen to open the door without checking if someone was on the other side. Conductor also chose not to catch me as I fell, and instead began to scream that I shouldn't have been there in the first place. I fortunately landed on my hip rather than my skull, no damage done. I sat up and opened my eyes to the vision of a dozen pairs of hands reaching down to help me up, restoring my faith in humanity.

One of my biggest fears in life is getting run over by a train (which happened to someone I know, a long time ago). Yet I wasn't terrified when I realized I was falling--just really, really pissed off. How DARE this happen! I'm still in the middle of everything!

The only words I can write about God today are... thank you.

2 comments:

Regina said...

Oh my goodness... thank God indeed! I am glad you are okay, aa!

I love trains, but actually, I would have never been born if it hadn't been for my mother getting a little tipsy one night, forcing my father and her to postpone their train back home till the next morning... when they awoke, they found out the train was in a terrible wreck the evening before and many people were killed- somewhere in NY I believe- I'll have to look that up!

All this to say, I don't know what, just that I am glad that you are alive to post another day! :)
<3

alto artist said...

Thank you so much.. and, oh my goodness, what a story! I too am glad your mother got tipsy that night!

--aa.